Our body experiences massive changes as we age. Our skin will wrinkle, our bones will weaken, and our hair will be more prone to damage. Now more than ever, it’s very important to give your crowning glory more attention. You can start by finding the best shampoo and conditioner for hair over 60.
Aging always makes its existence felt on our hair. Both men and women will agree that old age is their enemy when it comes to hair health. Many lose their hair, but you can delay this through the right choice of products.
In this post, I will discuss how aging affects our hair together with the best product choices you can use. As someone in the early 60s, I also added my tips on how to take care of your hair to prevent damage and thinning.
How aging affects our hair health
Our hair changes with age, which makes it drier, stiffer, and more susceptible to damages. You’ll also notice a change in thickness and texture. Turning gray is one thing, but the damages are another.
Take note that the aging of our hair is affected by many factors. It can be hormonal, genetic, or biochemical.
Genetics is one of the strongest determinants of how thick your hair will be once you reach 60. For men, male pattern baldness is the most dreaded problem. It’s often passed on from male family members to another.
On the other hand, your hair health can also be affected by hormonal changes. Women are at risk here, especially as 60 is in postmenopausal age. Many women experience hair thinning and less full hair during and after menopause as the progesterone and estrogen hormone levels dwindle.
Moreover, hair growth is regulated by various biochemical processes. As we grow old, our scalp may produce less sebum and androgens that will make our hair dryer, thinner, and prone to breakage.
Aside from that, our bodies become less efficient in producing melanin as we grow old. This results in dull and faded hair color, which is why black hair turns gray.
Despite all this, aging shouldn’t feel like a life sentence for your hair. There are many ways to keep your tresses healthy and thick as you navigate your 60s onward.
Below, I reviewed 10 shampoo and conditioner products that will help take care of your aging hair. See which of these you’ll love to use!
10 Best Shampoo and Conditioner For Hair Over 60
1. PURA D’OR Original Gold Label Anti-Hair Thinning Shampoo
When it comes to the best shampoo and conditioner for hair over 60, I swear by the PURA D’OR Original Gold Label Anti-Hair Thinning Shampoo. This product is made of the proprietary DHT herbal blend. It’s composed of 17 herbs, including biotin, Red Korean Seaweed, argan oil, amla oil, black cumin seed oil, and more.
Moreover, this PURA D’OR shampoo has no parabens and SLS. It’s also gluten-free and doesn’t contain formaldehyde, sulfates, petrolatum, and toluene. This is also safe to use for those with common allergies. Most of all, this product is vegan and cruelty-free.
This shampoo will help boost your thinning hair while moisturizing your dry scalp. Both men and women will benefit from this natural and nourishing formula made for aging hair. It promotes circulation on the scalp while giving your locks a fuller and bouncier finish.
With repeated use, this shampoo will reduce hair fall while encouraging new growth. However, those with caffeine hypersensitivity should consider getting other products on this list instead.
If you’re unhappy with the results, PURA D’OR offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee. They will give you a full refund if you’re not satisfied with the results, no questions asked.
- 100% full refund guarantee
- Made of 17+ herbs
- Cruelty-free and vegan formula
- Not for those with caffeine hypersensitivity
2. Nioxin System 2 Cleanser Shampoo
Another formula I recommend is the Nioxin System 2 Cleanser Shampoo. This one might be an ideal choice for those with extremely oily scalps. It performs a deep cleanse to remove dirt, excessive oil, and irritants, thanks to its Activ Renewal Technology.
This shampoo is made for individuals with progressed thinning. If you’re suffering from male pattern baldness or similar conditions, you should give Nioxin a try.
Moreover, this shampoo offers a light moisturizing benefit. It also shields your hair from UV rays while removing environmental residues.
Nioxin System 2 Cleanser Shampoo, Natural Hair with Progressed Thinning, 33.8 Fl Oz
- Professional hair and scalp cleanser shampoo for natural hair with progressed...
- Derma purifying shampoo deeply cleanses the scalp and provides thicker, fuller...
- Activ renewal technology helps remove sebum, fatty acids and other environmental...
- Prepare hair and scalp for a complete hair thickening treatment with Nioxin's three...
- Nioxin shampoo cleanser is the first step of a three part Nioxin regimen, designed to...
Also, this is blended with peppermint oil to refresh your scalp while giving it a natural scent. It smells a little bit medicated, but it does the job of preventing further hair loss and boosting new growth. For me, that’s just a small issue that I can live with.
However, you should remember that this isn’t color-safe. If you have color-treated hair, you must get the System 3 or System 4 formula instead. Overall, System 2 is formulated for those with natural hair.
Aside from that, the Nioxin System 2 Cleanser Shampoo also comes in a therapy conditioner formula, which you can purchase separately.
- Ideal for oily natural hair
- Activ Renewal Technology for deep cleansing
- Protects against UV rays
- Not safe for color-treated hair
3. Nourish Beaute Vitamins Shampoo & Conditioner
The Nourish Beaute Vitamins Shampoo & Conditioner comes in two separate bottles. The shampoo is packed with biotin, coconut oil, castor oil, and proprietary Procapil. Meanwhile, the conditioner is blended with argan oil, keratin, biotin, and the proprietary Baicapil.
Procapil is a patented ingredient that stimulates hair growth while preventing further hair loss. Meanwhile, Baicapil is a combination of three plant ingredients that also fight hair loss. These two patented ingredients are mixed with a vitamin blend and DHT blockers.
Moreover, this Nourish Beaute pair is suitable for all hair types. It will condition and volumize your hair, so you’ll look good even at 60. This has a plant-based formula, which guarantees gentle and nourishing effects.
Overall, these shampoo and conditioners are cruelty-free, paraben-free, hormone-free, and phthalate-free. This makes it a great choice for over 60s with sensitive scalps. It also smells good and lathers well.
Aside from that, Nourish Beaute offers a 100% happiness guarantee. This will protect your money in case you don’t see results.
The only thing I noticed is that it will take long for you to see substantial growth with this shampoo and conditioner. Nevertheless, it works wonders in keeping your hair healthy.
- Patented ingredient blends
- Plant-based ingredients
- Suitable for all hair types
- The hair growth benefit takes time to show results.
4. Oribe Gold Lust Repair & Restore Shampoo
If you don’t mind splurging, I highly recommend the Oribe Gold Lust Repair & Restore Shampoo. This is a rejuvenating formula that’s a must for aging hair. Most of all, this shampoo is free of sulfate, paraben, and gluten. It’s also PETA-certified cruelty-free and safe for color and keratin-treated hair.
Moreover, the Oribe Gold Lust Repair & Restore Shampoo has Bio-Restorative Complex, which deeply nourishes the hair cuticle. This is paired with an Amino Acid Complex for added moisturization on your scalp and hair.
Also, this shampoo has Mediterranean Cyprus extracts that naturally repairs and restores damaged hair. With regular use, your aging hair will become softer, healthier, and easier to manage. This is aside from the hydrating argan oil to control the frizz.
Another thing I really like about the Oribe Gold is it makes the hair appear youthful with regular use. It also locks in moisture on the hair strands, which gives it a conditioning effect.
This shampoo also smells heavenly, but I wish the container will be improved to prevent leaks. Some users also complain of the price, but I won’t mind splurging for the benefit it brings.
- PETA-certified cruelty-free
- Bio-Restorative Complex + Amino Acid Complex
- Heavenly scent
- The conditioning effect is just mild.
5. Living proof Restore Shampoo
If you want to save some bucks, I suggest that you try the Living proof Restore Shampoo. This shampoo is free from sulfates, silicones, phthalates, and parabens, which makes it a safe choice for aging hair. For over 60s with colored and chemically-treated hair, this is also a good choice.
Aside from that, the Living proof shampoo removes residues from your scalp so that it won’t block your roots. While it doesn’t promote hair growth, it does a good job of keeping your aging hair healthy.
This is one of the few shampoo products that worked for me. I have straight hair with hardly untamable frizz. But after a month of using this shampoo, I can say that I’m the ‘Living proof’ of its efficacy! It really made me proud of my hair.
Overall, Living proof promises to make your hair 20x more resistant to breakage. It will also repel oil and dirt, so your hair won’t be weighed down easily, which allows you to enjoy your hairstyle longer.
Moreover, I know a few hairstylists who recommend this shampoo, which just proves its quality. If you have damaged hair but can’t afford expensive products, the Living proof Restore Shampoo is a good start.
- It makes hair 20x more breakage resistant
- Safe for color and chemically-treated hair
- Cruelty-free formula
- There’s not much benefit for those with thinning hair.
6. Kerastase Densifique Bodifying Shampoo
If your hair seems to lack density as you get older, the Kerastase Densifique Bodifying Shampoo will be a big help. It’s made to deep cleanse, strengthen, and increase the density of your hair. This is a 2-in-1 shampoo that provides conditioning for the best results.
Aside from that, the Kerastase Densifique has hyaluronic acid, which makes your hair plump. It’s also blended with gluco peptide that reaches far into the cuticle to strengthen your existing hair. Above all, it contains ceramides that will boost your hair’s elasticity and moisture retention.
With these topnotch ingredients, there’s no reason why Kerastase Densifique won’t work for users over 60. It’s made for thinning hair, which will help a lot in preventing further hair loss.
KERASTASE Densifique Densité Shampoo, 250ml
- Gently purifies scalp to remove build up
- Visibly thickens and strengthens hair beginning at the root
- Adds body, volume, and shine from root to tip
- Formulated with Hyaluronic Acid to plump the hair and prevent future hair breakage.
- Ideal for hair lacking thickness and volume
Moreover, the Densifique collection is safe for color-treated hair. Another thing I really like is the addictive smell of this shampoo, which is naturally scented using pink mint, bergamot, peony, and freesia. It also has hints of cedar and musk. If they make perfume versions of this, I’ll be covering myself with it!
Overall, this shampoo is concentrated and not watered down like cheap products. It also eliminates the need to buy a separate conditioner.
The only issue I have over Kerastase is the faulty bottle, but it never happened again in my succeeding purchases.
- Blended with hyaluronic acid
- Contains ceramides
- Made for thinning hair
- Some users say that it takes a long time to work on thinning hair.
7. Alterna Caviar Anti-Aging Shampoo
If your aging hair is dry and brittle, the Alterna Caviar Anti-Aging Shampoo might be right for you. True to its name, it has caviar extracts, which are packed with Omega-3 fatty acids. This ingredient is a powerful tool to moisturize and improve the elasticity of damaged hair.
This product also boasts of the proprietary Seasilk, which is a marine botanical blend that helps repair and restore damaged hair.
In addition, the Alterna Caviar Shampoo has Age-Control Complex to undo the environmental and chemical damages that age your hair faster than it should.
Alterna Haircare CAVIAR Anti Aging Replenishing Moisture Shampoo, 8.5 Fl Oz (Pack of 1)
- A luxurious cleanser that restores and hydrates dry hair
- Replenishes and seals in moisture, adds softness and shine, and improves overall look...
- Perfect for straight, wavy, curly, coiled and tightly coiled hair
- Gently cleanses and works to restore moisture to hair while protecting hair from...
- How To Use: Massage shampoo throughout wet hair. Rinse thoroughly
Aside from that, this shampoo is suitable for all hair types of both men and women. It locks in moisture to keep the hair shiny and soft. The best part is that this product is free from sulfates and paraben that could irritate your scalp.
Moreover, this Alterna shampoo is safe for color-treated hair. Clinical trials also show that this formula provides thermal protection up to 450F. Despite that, I’ll still use a separate heat protectant when heat styling, just to be sure.
- Blended with real caviar extracts
- Age-Control Complex
- Suitable for all hair types
- I just wish they can make the container easier to open, especially for arthritic users.
8. RevitaLash Cosmetics Thickening Shampoo
If you’re looking for a thickening shampoo, I highly recommend this one from RevitaLash Cosmetics. It has a phyto-infused formula that will hydrate and thicken your hair with regular use.
Moreover, this has plant-based ingredients to gently cleanse and hydrate your hair. It has Loquat leaf and willow bark that boosts hair growth and exfoliates the scalp. This is also mixed with biotin for thicker-looking hair. And to make sure that your aging hair is moisturized, this shampoo has panthenol.
The RevitaLash Cosmetics Thickening Shampoo is color-safe and free from sulfate detergents. It doesn’t contain phthalates or parabens, not to mention that it’s also cruelty-free.
For a dermatologist-reviewed and clinically-tested formula, I don’t mind spending a few bucks. RevitaLash succeeded in formulating a shampoo that works for all hair types and colors without the frills.
- Plant-based ingredients
- Safe for colored hair
- Boosts hair growth
- The smell is a little off-putting for some users.
9. Dominican Magic Anti-Aging Shampoo Set
If you’re looking for a haircare kit, the Dominican Magic Anti-Aging Shampoo Set is an excellent option. This is composed of one shampoo, one conditioner, one leave-in conditioner, and one anti-aging scalp drop. It’s a complete set to rejuvenate and regain your aging hair’s glam.
For the shampoo, your hair will be treated to a blend of botanicals that will help stimulate hair growth and prevent premature hair loss. It’s mixed with rosemary extracts, horsetail extracts, arnica extract, and peppermint oil. All of these will nourish and cleanse your scalp gently.
Dominican Magic Anti-Aging Shampoo + Conditioner + Leave in 16oz + Drop 4oz
- The Dominican Magic Hair Product line is made using extracts from fruits, plants and...
- Extracts from avocado, coconut, Aloe Vera, wheat, cinnamon, garlic and rosemary have...
- The magic of these products consist of using the highest technology to extract and...
- These allow the nutrients to penetrate deep into the hair follicle, resulting in a...
Meanwhile, the Dominican Anti-Aging Conditioner in this package has coconut oil and ascorbic acid to lock in moisture to your hair. And if you’re in a hurry, the leave-in conditioner will also come in handy.
Overall, these products are safe for color-treated hair. It gives a soft finish without weighing the hair down too much. And for this set, I can say that it’s already a steal for such a price tag. Users had noticed that their hair is less prone to breakage when they switched to the Dominican Magic.
- Blend of botanicals
- Set of four hair care kit
- It helps prevent premature hair loss
- I hope they will improve the bottle cap to prevent leaks.
10. Pantene Expert Pro-V Age Defy Shampoo
My last pick for this list is the Pantene Expert Pro-V Age Defy Shampoo. It’s made to restore the vitality of damaged and aging hair. This shampoo will help fight seven signs of aging, including breakage, split ends, frizz, unruly grays, and lackluster color. It’s also a great choice for thinning look and dry hair.
This shampoo has the Age Defy System with a triple-blend complex to lock in moisture on your hair. It’s also safe for color-treated tresses.
Pantene Expert Pro-V Age Defy Shampoo, 9.6 Fluid Ounce
- Pantene Expert Pro-V Age Defy Shampoo instantly restores youthful vitality
- One of our most concentrated Pro-V formulas, specially designed with Experts at Olay
- Our Age Defy System with triple-blend complex helps fight 7 signs of aging hair
- Fights breakage, split ends, frizz, unruly grays, lackluster color, thin look, and...
- Gentle enough for daily use on color-treated hair
Moreover, this Pantene shampoo is free from nickel, gluten, antibiotics, paraben, soy, and common allergens. It’s also safe for use on teens.
The best thing about the Pantene Expert Pro-V is it’s very easy to find in most stores. While it’s more expensive than the other shampoo from the brand, it’s worth the purchase if you’re already over 60. This formula removes the need for a separate conditioner, which is a big plus for me.
- Triple-blend complex
- Fights 7 signs of aging
- Made for aging hair
- The perfume smell is a bit strong.
How to choose shampoo and conditioner for hair over 60
Many of us don’t really pay much attention to the shampoo and conditioners we use. As long as it lathers and smells good, it should do.
But if you’re past 60, you have to be meticulous with the hair products you’re going to use. This is to prevent premature hair loss and damages brought by old age.
However, finding the best shampoo to use can be a challenging endeavor for some. To help you out, here are some of the things you should consider:
Consider your scalp type.
The very first thing you should think about is your scalp type. Your scalp is basically the skin on your head where all the hairs grow from. If it’s not conditioned well, your hair will also have poor quality.
So how can you tell your scalp type? If it feels tight after shampooing or just by itself, your scalp is dry. This is the same thing if your scalp feels very itchy, even if you don’t have dandruff. If you have this scalp, you need a moisturizing shampoo that won’t strip your roots of too much oil.
On the other hand, if your scalp is shinier than usual, you likely have an oily scalp. You’ll also notice your hair being too oily after a full night’s sleep. Unlike dry scalps, you need a cleansing shampoo for oily types. This is to prevent the roots from getting clogged and harboring dirt.
However, there’s also the so-called ‘combination’ scalp, which is neither oily nor dry. With this type, it takes longer for the scalp to get oily after each wash. Drugstore shampoos will do here as long as the product is gentle and moisturizing.
Check your hair type.
Next, you have to consider your hair type. Here’s a quick rundown of the most common hair types and the suitable shampoo and conditioner for them:
- Thick hair. For over 60 with thick hair, they need a moisturizing shampoo that will lock in the moisture on each strand. This is to prevent the thick locks from being dry and manageable.
- Fine hair. Unlike thick hair, fine hair requires a volumizing formula that won’t weigh the hair down.
- Straight hair. This hair type requires a moisturizer-rich shampoo and conditioner that seal the cuticle.
- Wavy hair. For this hair type, you need the right balance of moisturizing and cleansing. The shampoo shouldn’t dry or over-moisturize your scalp and hair.
- Curly hair. If you have curly hair, you should invest in a highly moisturizing shampoo to prevent the dreaded frizz.
- Colored and chemically-treated hair. If you have this hair type, you need a strengthening shampoo with an extra dose of protein. This is to repair damages and weak points on your treated hair.
Read the ingredients
One of the most important aspects of choosing a shampoo is reading the ingredients. At 60, our hair is very sensitive and can easily fall off if subjected to harsh chemicals.
Beware of sulfate content. While this isn’t necessarily pure evil, sulfates can strip the hair of its natural moisture. It deep-cleans the roots, which isn’t good for those with already dry scalp and damaged hair.
If you have curly, treated, and damaged hair, you should steer clear of sulfates. However, the downside here is that sulfate-free shampoos don’t seem sud up as much as sulfate-laced formulas. This means that the shampoo will have to work harder to give your hair and scalp a good cleanse.
The trick to make sulfate-free shampoos work is massaging them into your scalp. This way, the cleaning, and moisturizing ingredients will get into your roots properly.
Aside from that, look for natural oils and extracts. These are excellent moisturizers, especially for dry hair.
If you have a sensitive scalp, opt for a shampoo and conditioner with minimal ingredients. While it won’t do much in terms of regaining your hair’s shine, it will give you a gentle cleanse. Besides, your aging scalp won’t benefit from unnecessary fillers.
The smell should be the least priority.
Personally, I don’t really give too much emphasis on the smell of the shampoo. I always prioritize the ingredients and their effects. A good smell is just a bonus.
Take note that shampoo scents are often possible through added fillers and artificial ingredients. It doesn’t have major benefits and may only end up irritating your scalp. But if it’s scented through natural oils and extracts, it would likely be safe to use.
Remember that your goal should be restorative when it comes to the best shampoo and conditioner for hair over 60. The odor should be at the bottom of the checklist.
Lastly, consider the price of the shampoo and conditioner you’re going to buy. Personally, I don’t mind splurging on a signature formula for damaged and thinning hair. In these cases, drugstore options may not meet the needs of aging hair.
In the end, it’s all about the right balance of cost and efficacy. You may need to try a few shampoo products to find which works for you best.
Consider switching things up if you’re not noticing any improvements within a month. But if you experience irritations using a specific product, you should stop using it and consult a dermatologist instead.
How to take care of your hair over 60
Aging is a daunting process for many. Of all the bodily changes we may experience, thinning and brittle hair really hits hard on our confidence level.
To ensure that your hair will look and feel healthy at 60, here are some tips you can consider:
- Choose the right haircut. You don’t really have to cut your hair short once your turn 60. The key here is avoiding too many layers since it accentuates thinning.
- Get regular trims. Trimming your hair every 6 to 8 weeks will give way for healthier growth. It will also make your aging hair more manageable.
- See a doctor. At this age, you need to invest in your health. Before you use any shampoo and conditioner, it’s always best to consult your doctor.
- Diet is crucial. When it comes to hair health, iron and protein are the two most important nutrients. It’s important to eat a balanced diet with ample proportions of the two mentioned substances.
- Practice gentle brushing. Although hair thinning occurs easily during old age, you shouldn’t shy away from brushing. You should brush gently to stimulate blood flow into your roots. A scalp massage will also help with hair thickness.
- Always moisturize. As we age, our hair gets easily dry. You can always moisturize using a hydrating mousse. Those designed for curly hair are great options, even if you have a different hair type.
- Cut back on hairsprays. As much as you’d want to lock in your hairstyle, you should use hairsprays sparingly. These sprays are often packed with drying alcohols that will make your aging hair even drier.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Why am I losing hair at 60?
A: Aging will take its toll on your hair. So if you’re losing hair at 60, you might be suffering from hormonal changes brought by menopause, nutrient depletion, or experiencing the onset of hereditary hair loss. Your diet, vices, and lifestyle will also affect your hair health at this age.
Q: How can I make my hair shiny at 60?
A: At 60, your hair may look dull and brittle. To help regain its shine, you should always moisturize and use a hydrating shampoo. Most of all, avoid using high heat tools for styling because this can easily damage your hair. You should also be meticulous about the other hair products you’re using.
Q: Why is my hair getting frizzy as I get older?
A: Hair gets frizzy as we get older since our scalp produces less and less oils over the years. To combat this, we need to use hydrating shampoo and conditioner that will help compensate for the low levels of natural sebum. You should also protect your hair against sunlight and heat.
Q: Can my thin hair become thick again?
A: The answer to this depends on what caused the hair loss. With male pattern baldness, it can be challenging to regain the hair thickness since it’s genetic. Nevertheless, you can always explore options like hair implants to boost the thickness of your locks.
Q: Can hair loss be a sign of something serious?
A: Many cases of hair loss isn’t really a sign of something serious. It can be attributed to aging. However, if you’re losing hair in clumps or patches, you should consult a doctor. You might be suffering from an underlying health problem that needs immediate medical attention.
Aging is inevitable, and so is its impact on our hair. Still, the best shampoo and conditioner for hair over 60 can help manage the damages. Always opt for cleansing, moisturizing, and gentle formulas with little to no harsh chemicals.
What do you think of these shampoo products? Share your thoughts below!