An essential part of any modern make-up kit, lip gloss or balm keeps lips smooth and soft. It is used to get a shine over lip color and has recently gained a lot of popularity. This beauty product may contain various ingredients to do the job it is intended to do. However, there is a misconception among users that lip gloss is made from whale sperm.
In this post, we try to throw some light on the reality of the composition of lip gloss. If you too have been wondering whether lip gloss contains whale sperm, read on to find out the truth.
Is Lip Gloss Made From Whale Sperm?
A lot of people believe that whale sperm is used to make lip gloss but the reality is that it is a total myth. There is a possibility that this misconception or confusion came from the word ‘sperm’ used in the sperm whale. In earlier times, a part of this kind of whale was used in some cosmetics. But it was not sperm. It was something that came from its head and looked like semen. Modern-day lip gloss or lip balm contains no products from any whale.
Lip balm products available today vary a lot in what they are made of. Some contain natural ingredients while others are made of synthetic ones. The reality is that no whale sperm or any whale product is used to make lip balm. No sperm of any other creature is used. A waxy substance found in the sperm whale intestines was used to make perfumes in the past. This myth has originated from this fact.
What Is Lip Gloss Made Off?
Like most other cosmetic products, lip gloss varies to a great extent when it comes to its composition. However, there are some main components used in every type of lip gloss. One of the most common ingredients is emollients. They are oils responsible for the wet, slick texture and shine lip gloss has. These oils can be either natural like jojoba oil, coconut oil and vitamin E for natural and organic products or synthetic. They can vary according to the quality of the product.
Another key component in lip gloss is thickeners. This component is responsible for the feature that makes lip gloss different from lipstick. Lip colors are made of wax rather than oils making them less slippery and firm. Thickeners like clays and waxes, natural or synthetic, keep the product on lips and prevent falling. A lipstick usually has a higher staying power than lip gloss due to the composition. However, a high-quality lip gloss has a nice balance of wax and oil that enables it to stay during the course of a meeting or party.
Apart from these primary ingredients, lip gloss also contains coloring agents. You can find a wide variety of shaded lip gloss that use either natural components like fruit extracts or chemical dyes to get the required tint. Glittery lip gloss products even rely on ingredients like mica and iron oxide. There are many other ingredients that vary from one product to another. For example, UV products include sunscreen while flavored lip gloss uses sweeteners. A number of other ingredients like paraben-based preservatives are also added to lip gloss to help them stay fresh for longer.
Clear Lip Gloss Ingredients
A basic clear lip gloss is made of petroleum or gasoline byproducts. Natural alternatives like beeswax or coconut oil can also be used. Those who prefer bee-free options can choose products made of carnauba wax and candelilla wax. A carrier oil like sunflower or almond oil is also used. They also include hydrating ingredients like cocoa butter, shea butter, and mango butter.
Clear lip gloss also uses FDA-approved dyes and mica pigments. Essential oils can be used to give them flavor. It can include lemon, lavender, orange, peppermint, cinnamon or grapefruit. A lot of lip gloss products also add vitamin E and glitter. A clear lip gloss contains a smaller amount of lip gloss base to keep the consistency medium. This type of lip gloss gives a shiny appearance most users desire.
Glossier Lip Gloss Ingredients
Glossier lip gloss has a thick consistency and looks smoother than a clear one. The main ingredient used in the formulation of this product is a mixture of emollients to give the high-shine finish. Natural options can be made using Vaseline or petroleum jelly. Then, a base oil is added to the formulation to give a glossy and lush effect to the lip gloss. Each of the base oils has its own beneficial properties.
A natural option is castor oil that can be used with a combination of others. Jojoba oil, glycerine, coconut oil, sesame seed oil, olive oil, and sweet almond oil are used for conditioning. Glossier lip gloss also contains vitamin E for nourishment. For tint, organic food color, lipstick scrapings or mica powder is used. A lot of other ingredients are used for flavor and aroma. The consistency of a lip gloss depends on the ratio of ingredients. A larger amount of lip gloss base gives a thicker consistency to make a glossier lip gloss for healthier lip appearance.
Find The Best Lip gloss From Amazon
- Vitamin oil enriched lip gloss
- Offers different key-vitamin oil ingredient
- Moisturizing,Soothing, Super glossy
- 8 PCS SET (Mint,Rosehip,Coconut,Mango Butter,Argan,Vitamin E, Honey, Shea Butter Oil)
- Butter Gloss: Buttery soft and silky smooth, our decadent Butter Gloss is available...
- Kissable Lips: Our best selling Butter Gloss goes on smooth and creamy and is never...
- Lip Products For The Perfect Pout: Doll your lips in plush, creamy, perfection; Try...
- Cruelty Free Cosmetics: We believe animals belong in our arms, not in a lab; All of...
- Discover NYX Professional Makeup: Try all of our professional makeup and beauty...
- Lifter Gloss with Hyaluronic Acid: This lip gloss formula with Hyaluronic Acid...
- Next Level Shine: This moisturizing gloss leaves lips feeling hydrated and looking...
- Let Your Lips Do the Talking: Find the perfect red lipstick and matching lip liner,...
- Create Any Look: Our foundations, bb creams, concealers and highlighters create a...
- Maybelline is the world’s number 1 makeup brand, from foundation to mascara to...
- Rosehip Oil - Reduces Fine Lines on Lips, Moisturizes & Heals and Contains Vitamin A
- Mint Oil - Cooling Effect, Refreshing Tingle and Soothes Cracked Lips
- Coconut Oil - Hydrates Lips, Locks in Moisture and Shine without Stickiness
- 3 pcs SET