The career of a beautician is meant for people who enjoy making others feel and look comfortable in their skin. A good beautician is supposed to leave his/her customers feeling good. This career involves delivering beauty treatments to both female and male clients.
Most beauticians usually work as hair stylists in beauty shops and salons. However, the beauty industry has advanced to a level where it also offers personal care services like makeup applications, brow waxes, light massages and manicures. A beautician?s services are limited to the type of licence they possess. This article breaks down all the basic characteristics that a beautician must possess in order to be successful.
- 1 What Does a Beautician Do?
- 2 What Qualities Should You Have?
- 3 Job Basics
- 4 What are the Career Opportunities for a Beautician?
What Does a Beautician Do?
This is a professional who is trained to perform cosmetic services like cutting, colouring and styling hair. They also offer other services like nail care, skin care, hair removal treatments, in addition to advising clients on the best ways to take care of their bodies. A beautician will consider your style and needs before guiding you towards the ideal personal care routines. Beauticians are usually good listeners because they need to understand the personality of their clients. It?s important for clients to visit licensed beauticians especially when dealing with unknown beauty treatments. This is important in protecting yourself from any health problems.
Sometimes, beauticians are referred to as hair stylists, hairdressers or cosmetologists. Licensed beauticians are permitted to provide services that vary by jurisdiction. Clients should expect services like facials, makeup application, nail treatment, in addition to hair care.
What Qualities Should You Have?
There are many qualities that have been proven to help beauticians achieve success. You should possess strong listening, communication and analytical skills. Successful beauticians have a keen eye for detail as well as being creative thinkers. A Beautician must make firm decisions to help clients pick the best choices. A beautician should also be independent because the job might involve being self-employed. It is just like playing in an Irish casino where you have fun while winning money. You should have the following skills before starting your job on the beautician chair:
- Attention to detail
- Excellent time keeping
- Being in good physical shape because beauticians stand for long hours
- Artistic flair
- Keeping up with the freshest trends
- Turning customers ideas into reality
- You should be passionate about hair and beauty
- Openness and ability to absorb fresh techniques and ideas
- Keenly listen to your guests
- Good personal grooming and cleanliness
The daily tasks of a cosmetologist involve: curling, cutting, colouring, straightening, styling and clipping. Shaving or trimming beards. Rinsing, conditioning, shampooing and drying hair.
Responsibilities of a Beautician:
- Treating and massaging scalps, as well as colouring, styling, cutting, and shampooing hair
- Suggesting skin care therapies, performing facials and applying makeup
- Suggesting colour recommendations, nail art, as well as performing manicures and pedicures
- Doing temporary and permanent hair removal treatments like waxing, laser hair removal and electrolysis
- Provide guidance about beauty products and therapies
- Documenting treatments and making appointments
- Stock taking
- Sterilising and cleaning tools and the work station
Requirements of a Beautician:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Robust creative skills
- The hands should be steady and nimble
- A beautician should be knowledgeable about beauty trends, hair removal techniques and skin care therapies
- A beautician should have a cosmetology licence
- A certificate in aesthetics, cosmetology, or related fields.
- Beauticians normally earn many tips
- Beauticians can do different jobs because the field offers different specialties
- Happy clients will recommend your business
- Income may vary from time to time
- You?ll encounter displeased customers occasionally
- The job can be physically demanding because of standing for long hours
What are the Career Opportunities for a Beautician?
This job involves using trendy techniques and cosmetic products to boost the physical appearance of a client. This can be a successful career in the entertainment industry. For instance you can work as a wedding t, fashion, theatre or film/television makeup designer. Your job is to ensure that your subject meets the television standard for industry beauty.
The beauty industry has a high demand for hairdressers. It?s therefore possible to build a lucrative career. Some of the jobs are in weddings, fashion shows, high-end salons, celebrity styling and photo-shoots.
This job is perfect for people who want to try something new after working many years in the beauty industry. You can use your vast knowledge to write for blogs and beauty magazines.
Fashion Show Stylist
Before working with famous designers, most stylists begin by attending a beauty college and then work towards their dreams. This is a fast-paced job that requires you to prepare models for the runway. It?s important to research the best beautician schools to attend.
This job is about creating intricate nail designs, pedicures and manicures. Perfecting unique designs can help you earn big money especially if you work in high-end salons.
Most successful beauticians have built their brands based on having a wide range of skills. For instance, it?s important to use good communication skills to advise clients about skin care regimes, the best nail colours and suitable hairstyles. Beauticians also need retail skills to promote beauty products and services.