All of us wish to experiment with our looks every now and then. And the first thing most of us do is switch the hair color. Whether you wish to cover your greys or simply change the color, the first thought that comes to mind is the damage we are going to cause to our locks.
We all want stunning hair but not at the cost of dead hair. Most people opt for one of the two methods; henna hair dye or chemical hair dye. You might be wondering what the difference between henna vs conventional dye is. In this article, you will find out exactly that.
What is Henna Hair Dye?
Well for beginners, organic henna is made from the crushed leaves of the henna plant and gives your hair a reddish-brown tint. In some cases, the henna powder is mixed with indigo powder to achieve a wide range of colors. Gone are the days when henna dyes used to come in one color only. These days, you can practically get any color you want in the form of henna dyes.
Benefits of Using Henna Hair Dye Powder
Is henna good for hair? You will come to answer this question after going through the top benefits of using henna hair dye instead of a chemical one.
• For starters, henna hair dye is free from all the nasty chemicals that are typically found in conventional hair dyes.
• Henna is not only a colorant but acts as an amazing hair conditioner when strengthens your hair, imparts shine, gets rid of scalp problems, and makes your hair healthy.
• The color from henna powder lasts much longer than conventional dyes. In fact, once you color your hair, you will be good for four to six months.
• Henna does not cause any allergic reactions in people who are typically allergic to chemicals and metallic dyes.
• Henna fights hair fall and promotes hair growth. It also fights breakage, making your hair appear thicker, stronger and longer.
Benefits of Using Conventional Hair Dyes
Conventional hair dyes come in a variety of shades and price ranges. From natural colors such as black and brown to funky shades such as pastels and blues, you will find any and every color under the planet. They also come in a variety of price ranges and ammonia-free options. Here are the top benefits of using conventional hair dyes:
• A very extensive color range which you definitely cannot get in henna.
•Instant results and do not require preparation in advance.
• It is a mess-free way to color your hair. Plus, a lot of salons also offer hair coloring services which is not the case with henna dyeing.
• The color payoff is quick and instant and the desired color can be achieved with a single application.
• If you use conventional dyes, it is very easy to change your hair color which is not the case with henna.
Difference between Henna vs Conventional Dye
Both henna and hair dyes have their own pros and cons. Here are the main differences between the two:
• Conventional hair color can irritate your scalp, resulting in dryness, dandruff and itchy scalp. On the other hand, henna soothes and hydrates your scalp, giving you a healthier base for hair growth.
• Henna protects your hair cuticles and adds shine and volume to your hair. On the other hand, conventional dyes damage your hair cuticles and make your hair dry over time.
• Conventional hair dye will age your hair, resulting in breakage. On the other hand, the henna acts as a hair conditioner, strengthening it over time.
• Henna hair color will last for a good four to six months. On the other hand, you have to freshen up your hair after every four to six weeks which results in damaged hair.
•Conventional hair dyes come in a variety of color options. On the other hand, henna dyes come in only a handful of colors.
•Coloring your hair with henna requires a long prep time. You need to prepare henna a day in advance and then leave it on your hair for a few hours. On the other hand, you can get the box dyeing job done in less than an hour.
• Using henna on your hair is a relatively messy procedure when you compare it with your typical box dye. Make sure to wear a shirt you don’t mind ruining.
• Box dyes can irritate your scalp and might ignite an allergic reaction in some people. On the other hand, henna dyes are completely safe to use and sooth your scalp instead.
Is Henna Good for Hair?
One simple answer is yes. It is amazing for your hair. However, you need to make sure that you are purchasing henna from a good and organic brand. There are a lot of henna brands out there who simply sell chemical loaded packs of henna. Stay clear of anything that contains metallic salts, PPDs, any harmful chemicals or bleach.
One more thing to remember is that henna is a work in progress. You need to apply it two to three times before you achieve a saturated color (if you have never used henna in your life). After that, you will be mesmerized by the quality of your hair strands. In just a few uses, you will see your hair transform.
All in all, henna is a much better and healthier option for coloring your hair. If you want to go for funky hair colors, you will have to go with the conventional dyes and bleaching option. Keep in mind that it will damage your hair and you need to take special care of your strange.
Include a good quality condition and hair mask into your hair care routine and go for regular trims to get rid of dead ends. I hope you found this article helpful. If you have any questions, leave them down in the comments section below and I will get back to you.